Thursday, January 14, 2010

Educational Dilema

It's time to start thinking pre-registration for the upcoming school year. I love my kids' school just because of the social gains they've made in their first year of school. However, after teaching in a public school in the primary grades and teaching children to read through Reading First, the ABEKA program is leaving me a little dissatisfied. Everyone knows that children succeed more when their parents work with them at home. However, working with them at home when you ae doing the opposite of what they are learning in school screws them more. Trying to teach the girls word families and chunks is confusing the heck out of them because of the blends they learn at school: ta, te, ti,to, tu- ma, me, mi, mo, mu. What???

I've been following a few of the homeschool moms and like what I see as far as what the kids are learning. But the interaction my girls get from going to school is teaching them to be less dependent on mommy. I am all for homeschooling if that's what works, and perhaps that is where we will ultimately end up. But they enjoy the routine of going to school and I must say-I appreciate it as well. I will just have to keep looking for that place that offers a small class size, educationally stimulating environment that is child friendly and encouraging. After saying all that, looks like the choices are slim!

No comments:

Post a Comment